In this article I will talk about 23 Major benefits of organic diet in terms of its positive impact on health, environmental, community and local economy.
Organic food industry is a big and growing industry in the West today, as they are slowly realizing the harmful side-effects of mechanized farming, strong pesticides/ insecticides and livestock pumped up with steroids and antibiotics. India, a predominantly agricultural country, after having experimented with Western-style farming for 50 years is now going back to its traditional organic farming methods which she has been practicing for millennia.
But why is organic food such a big deal? Why is organic farming on the rise?
It is so because organic food is grown without the use of synthetic fertilizers, artificial chemicals, genetic engineering and relies on natural or mechanical methods for pest control rather than on strong and potentially harmful insecticides and pesticides. As an illustration, if you eat just one thoroughly-washed apple, even then you could be potentially exposing yourself to 25 chemicals! Again studies have shown that about 60% of weed eliminators, 90% of mold eliminators, and 30% of insect eliminating chemicals may cause cancer. All this indirectly reaches our body via food produced conventionally.
Some of the 23 major benefits of organic diet are given below.
12 Major Health Benefits of Organic Diet
- Non-organic diet may contain chemicals like organophosphorus which are harmful for humans, which is not the case in organic diet.
- Even in small doses pesticide intake indirect via food made conventionally, can potentially increase the risk of cancer. An organic diet can prevent such a scenario.
- An organic diet is useful in ensuring higher consumption of nutritionally desirable anti-oxidants.
Organic diet is free from herbicides and pesticides which have been linked to diseases like immune disorders and infertility.
- An organic diet introduces less than 1/6th the carcinogens in a baby’s blood as compared to a normal diet.
Since organic produce is generally sourced locally and not-transported over long distances, the food is fresh.
- Not only is organic diet healthy, it is in fact tastier than non-organic because it is produced and sold locally and not stored in cold storage and transported over long distances.
- Organic diet is GMO free and hence contains no unnatural or artificial genetic modifications.
- A diet consisting of organic milk is healthier than normal diet as organic milk has 50% more nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids than normal milk. In fact, there are 17 reasons why Organic milk is better than normal milk.
- Organic tomatoes have upto 50% higher concentrations of vitamin C and over twice the quantity of phenolic compounds as compared to normal tomatoes. which helps the body fight oxidative stress – a form of chemical damage linked to chronic conditions such as heart disease, cancer and dementia.
- Organic strawberries have more nutrients and antioxidants than normal ones.
- Organically raised cows are not administered antibiotics or growth hormones – hence organic milk is free from the harmful effect of such chemicals.
- Organic milk has 70% more Omega 3 Fatty acids as compared to regular milk, and hence is more effective than regular milk for healthy growth.
- European research has shown that if infants and mothers eat organic dairy produce, the children are 36 per cent less likely to develop eczema.
5 Community & Economic Benefits of Organic Diet
- An organic diet ensures that you will be helping your local community as organic produce us generally sourced locally.
- Moreover since the money stays within the community, you will indirectly contribute to its economic prosperity.
- You will also be helping the farmers monetarily, because organic farmers generally bypass the normal middle-men and conventional channel of produce distribution. So there is no middle-man commission and the full money reaches the farmers.
- By supporting organic farming you are supporting small business and job creation in your local community.
- Better overall health because of use of organic produce, ensures lower medical costs and higher prosperity.
6 Critical Environmental Benefits of Organic Diet
- An organic diet indirectly contributes to reduction of carbon emission as there is practically no long-distance transportation of organic produce.
- Organic farming ensures that plants stay healthy and natural, and this ensures protection of environment.
- You will be significantly contributing to soil improvement through your organic diet. As organic farming does not use strong chemicals, there is minimal impact to soil health. In fact studies have show that mechanized farming often leads to deterioration in soil quality and in worst cases can cause desertification.
- Organic farming does not damage water sources as no artificial chemicals are used.
- Organic farming does not cause any air pollution, since heavy machinery is not used.
- Organic farming tries to work along with nature and wild-life rather than working against them, and this your organic diet is helping preserve our ecological balance and biodiversity.
Who would not want these benefits? Why would someone knowingly take pesticide-laced vegetables, fruits and cereals? Would you rather destroy your environment or help preserve our ecological balance and biodiversity? Would you rather have super-rich corporations or all-round economic prosperity? The answer is obvious. So do make the right choice and switch to organic food, to avail the numerous benefits of organic diet.
You may also like
- 10 Types of Japanese Green Tea
- 15 Facts about Slimming Green Tea
- 17 Amazing Facts about Organic Tomatoes
- 17 Wonderful Benefits of Organic Tea
- 14 Organic Food Stores in Kolkata
(6) 2016 European study
Thank you for reading “23 Major Benefits of Organic Diet”. I hope you enjoyed it. Please leave your comments in the comment box below and do share with your friends and family.