In this post I will share with you 17 reasons why Organic Milk is awesome in terms of health benefits, environmental impact and economic benefits.
Milk and milk products are one of the most important part of our diets especially in a country like India India where cows are considered divine. An average Indian will consume either milk or butter, ghee, curd, butter-milk or lassi. Milk has a lot of benefit like bone and teeth development and overall healthy growth. Organic milk retains all these benefits, and on top of that has some additional benefits. (1)
Why is Organic Milk great?
- Modern dairies use a number of chemicals during milk production which organic milk will not have.
- The fodder fed to the cows would have been cultivated using pesticides and fertilizers, which will have a negative impact on the quality of the milk produced. Organic milk is free from such chemical contamination.
- Often cows in conventional dairy farms are administered antibiotics and other artificial chemicals, and this has a harmful effect on the milk. In organic farms, cows are not administered such strong antibiotics and hence organic milk in not subject to such harmful reactions.
- Organic milk has 70% more Omega 3 Fatty acids as compared to regular milk, and hence is more effective than regular milk for healthy growth.
- Omega 3 has been shown to protect against heart disease, cancer and arthritis, and therefore organic milk is more effective than regular milk in combating these diseases. (1)
- A diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids may reduce or delay onset of Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, and therefore organic milk is a very good option. (2)
- Organic milk has a higher ratio of omega 3 to omega 6, and this balance promotes good heart health and cardiovascular conditions. Organic milk contains 25% less omega-6 fats and 62% more omega-3 fats than conventional milk.(3)
- Organic milk has 5x to 6x more Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) than regular milk. CLA causes muscle growth and increases immunity to disease. (1)
- Organic milk can also indirectly lead to weight-control or weight-loss on account of CLA which reduces abdominal fat and cholesterol and increases the body’s metabolic rate. (1)
- Organic milk has 2x more lutein, an antioxidant that prevents numerous eye diseases. (1)
- Organic milk has 2x more zeaxanthin, an antioxidant that is very helpful in preventing diabetic retinopathy and glaucoma. (1)
- Compared to regular milk, organic milk is more effective in combating signs of aging because of higher amount of Vitamin E present.
- Organic milk is more effective in increasing resistance to infections, good bone growth and tooth development, compared to regular milk because of 75% more beta carotene.
- Many studies have shown that full-fat organic dairy products more protective against diseases like cancer, heart disease, diabetes as well as weight gain. (4)
- Organic raw milks is more beneficial than organic processed milk as it has healthy bacteria that are good for gastrointestinal tract. (3)
- Organic raw milk has plentiful vitamins (, B, C, D, E, and K) in highly bio-available forms, and a very balanced blend of minerals (calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and iron). (3)
- European research has shown that if infants and mothers eat organic dairy produce, the children are 36 per cent less likely to develop eczema. (5)
As is evident there are numerous benefits of organic milk over regular milk of which I have listed only a few. It is common sense that milk that is obtained from cows which grow up in a natural environment would be better than milk from cows held in captivity in large mechanized dairies.
That’s what we Indians consider cows divine and ensure that whatever happens, cows are not ill-treated. The West is now slowly realizing that cows which are reared in organic farms are healthier than antibiotics and steroid-fed animal farms cattle typical of the West.
Cow is go-mata, our mother, and as long as she is allowed to thrive naturally and in peace she will offer us her blessings in the form of superior quality milk.
Thank you for reading “17 Reason why Organic Milk is Awesome”. I hope you enjoyed it. Please leave your comments in the comment box below and do share with your friends and family.