In this post I will talk about 3 advanced on page seo factors which will enable your website to rank better. SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization and refers to a set of techniques that allow your great website to stand out among thousands of good websites
In two of my previous posts, onpage seo factors and On Page SEO Optimization Techniques, I had discussed 10 points which you must keep in mind while writing your article. These 10 on page seo factors are as below.
- Identify Keyword.
- Ensure that post title has keyword.
- Ensure that post URL permalink has keyword.
- Try to place the keyword at the beginning of your URL permalink.
- Place the keyword within first 200 words of your article.
- Use the keyword in the last paragraph.
- Bold and underline keyword wherever appropriate.
- Try to maintain a keyword density of around 2% or less. Don not spam.
- Give an appropriate meta description.
- Use images wherever possible and do not forget to use alt tags.
On Page SEO Factors and User Experience
These 10 on page seo factors are the bare minimum that one has to address while writing a post. This will not only help your search engine rankings by helping Google and Bing to understand your content better, but also help your readers to know what your page is all about and thereby increase reader engagement.
Some people believe that SEO is all about search engines. That is but only one aspect of the story. A website with good SEO and great content will automatically be a favorite among search engines.
SEO is ultimately about user engagement and user experience. Technically SEO involves a set of techniques to rank higher so that more people are exposed to your site. Good SEO also ensures that people who have come to your site stay there and browse different articles. This in turn will have a positive impact on your ranking.
In this post I will discuss 3 more on page seo factors of slightly advanced nature.
1. Internal Linking
Internal Linking is one of the most important on page seo factors that most people seem to miss out.
An internal link is a hyperlink that points to a different page in the same website. Their purpose is to help a user navigate from page to page within the same domain in search of relevant and related information. Wikipedia is a great example of internal linking at work.
Internal Links have a number of benefits.
- Relevant internal links helps users navigate your website and discover additional content.
- Internal linking of posts and pages reduces your websites bounce rate, which in turn helps in improving website ranking.
- It generates additional traffic as people surf different pages, remain engaged and may potentially also share these pages.
- A proper internal linking strategy helps search engines like Google, Yahoo and Bing to quickly and efficiently crawl and discover various pages easily. It also informs the search engines which are the more important pages.
- Search Engines also discover the nature of content and keywords, if appropriate and relevant anchor texts are used.
If an awesome page with phenomenal content is unreachable to the search engine as below, it is non-existent as far as Google or Bing are concerned. Always remember that if a page is unreachable to search engines, it is most definitely unreachable to your users.
2. External Linking
An external links is one that points to an external domain. They are also known as outbound links.
External linking is among the more important on page seo factors. It tells the reader that whatever you have put up on your website is trustworthy and is backed by references, especially if the links are high quality links like Wikipedia or stanford.edu.
It also tells the search engines that you are a serious website and that you mean business when you write about any specific topic. Relevant external links will give search engines a very good view as to the intent and purpose of your post.
Adding outbound links to authority sites has a positive impact on your users readability experience which in turn improve page ranking.
As per this article from ShoutMeLoud, you should ideally link to the following type of sites.
- Links to resource pages, which provide exhaustive coverage of a topic. Say Wikipedia.
- Links to successful blogs with high PR.
- Links to bloggers in same community or niche.
In my personal finance blog Mkerj, I prefer to create outbound links to authority sites like wikipedia and investopedia, along with detailed and data-backed blogs like freefincal , safalniveshak and stableinvestor.
3. Site Speed
Site speed is a critical ranking factor and for valid reasons. Out of the millions of websites all around, nobody is going to wait 10 seconds for your website to load.
The moment the see a slow loading page they will move on to the next available site.
You will lose not only your customers and readers but also page ranking. Here is what Google says in Webmaster Central Blog “Speeding up websites is important — not just to site owners, but to all Internet users.”
To check whether your website is optimized for load time you may use this tool called PageSpeed Insights by Google.
Enter your website URL and hit Analyze. Once the analysis is done, you will be given a score out of 100 for your mobile as well as web version.
My desktop speed score is 62/100, which is on the lower side. Any score above 80 is considered good. Additionally, google will also help you identify potential cause for slower page load and possible solutions like compressing images or leveraging browser caching.
Generally a common sense rule of thumb in site speed is that any load more than 5 seconds is considered a no-no.
Therefore site speed is among the most important on page seo factors that one should focus on.
That’s it then. Hope you find the review of the above 3 on page seo factors useful.
You may also like
- 5 Ways to Improve Alexa Ranking
- Onpage SEO Factors
- On Page SEO Optimization Techniques
- Step Out of your Comfort Zone
- 5 Small Steps to Achieve Big Goals
Thank you for reading “On Page SEO Factors”. I hope you enjoyed it. Please leave your comments in the comment box below and do share with your friends and family.